Monday, March 24, 2008

How to reject a job offer

I turned client3 down. Here is a handy template for turning down job offers you may receive that is based on the rejection I made to client3.

< insert name of hiring contact >,

I thought about the open permanent position at < company > over the past few days. I gave serious consideration to the offer you made on < date of last meeting > and discussed it with my family. At this time, I have decided I would not accept a position at < company name > because it is not the right time for me personally to make an employment change. Thank you for understanding. Because < company name > has such a great work environment, I cannot imagine it will be very long before you are able to hire the right person and I wish you good luck with your search.

Sincerely,

< your name >

Things to avoid in turning down a job offer (or marriage proposal):
  • listing specific negative reasons like "I don't think the job has good benefits" or "Your armpit hair is out of control!"

  • listing specific personal concerns "I don't want to move" or "It is time I tell the police EVERYTHING"

  • not being clear or indicating you have not made a final decision like "making this decision has been so hard for me" or "I have had so much fun with you, you complete me"

  • burning the bridge "I would never work for this place, EVER" or "die... in a FIRE!"

  • over-patronizing or kissing up "although I will not be accepting the position, I will be buying stock in < company name >" or "It is not you, it's me; you deserve waaaaaaay better, but you knew that"


You need to be respectful, kind, and clear. Try not to giggle and blush like a girl. I can't tell you how much fun it is to reject a company's offer rather than have companies reject me. It is a big ego boost and sweet, sweet revenge rolled up in a saucy burrito of dripping joy.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know we are tasting that saucy burrito over here. I am happy that it is not the right time for you personally...oh so happy. My girls need their cousin this summer!

Hillary said...

HURRAY!!! You know we would have supported you either way, but I am sure you also know that we all cried ourselves to sleep with the thought of you guys moving. I have never really turned down and offer, maybe 7-11 will offer me a sweet gasoline attendant position some day that I can reject using your nice little template.

Harley said...

yeah just be firm but kind because you never know when you might need to go crawling back to the 7-11, hat in hand, for a job you rejected previously

Christina said...

Yes, I'll admit to crying myself to sleep over the thought of you moving, too, but was afraid to admit it. (Thanks for being brave enough to speak up, Hil).

I appreciate the turning down a proposal template, but, I don't think I'm going to need it. Any advice on accepting? (BTW - July or August, and it is your job to be there!)

Harley said...

what? July or August! really?

About Me

My photo
Lead Java Developer Husband and Father

Tags