Sunday, March 30, 2008

Texas Wedding

We are going to Buffy McDaniel's wedding today. It is at the Smith Family Chapel at Riverbend Church. Hopefully we will get to see Grandpa and Ross and lots of family at the wedding. I hope the wedding is not super long, Eleanor being sick might make this a little tough to pull off. I wish we knew what time the reception was so we could just drop in for that... I will take a camera this time, I keep forgetting it and then later wishing I had one.

We are in the Shoal Creek Ward and the LDS Church here is much the same as the ones in Utah except for much more diversity here in Texas (lots of blacks, hispanics, and asians).

Here is a list of places we have eaten at here in Austin; along with my rating of the restaurant:





















*****Marie Callendars - This is right by the hotel, walking distance. Somehow the food here is better than the same food at the MC in Utah. The pie? oh baby!
****Quiznos - I love Quiznos, but Rebecca is right, we need to eat at places that we cannot eat at in Utah.
**Subway - Bad food. Bad service. She put way too much jalapeño on the sandwich and didn't bother to ask if it looked alright. We were rushed through the line like cattle and the cashier would not give me the credit on my subway card because I was a split second too late handing it to him!
**Parmer Cafe (work cafeteria) - A cafeteria and their food was pricy??! The convienient location does not compensate for a poor texture and flavor to the food. Powerful weak!
*****Saltgrass Steakhouse - Loved my steak here, just plain loved it. I have had better steaks but they cost probably double the price of this place.
*****Cheesecake Factory - Very very good place to go. An expensive place to eat but worth it. The reason is simple: Chocolate Truffle Raspberry Cheesecake.
*Serrano's Mexican Grill - Flavorless, bland Mexican food that was served at a rediculously hot temperature.
****Rudy's Country Store (BBQ) - We will be back here. BBQ is not healthy and I feel like crap after eating a 1/2 pound of brisket but it was still worth it.
*Texas Roadhouse - Ate here in Waco on the way to Dallas, they offer A1 because their steak sucks without it (also their was a George Bush Jr./Dick Cheney mural on the wall. This was probably the biggest disappointment so far, Ruby River is probably a clone of this chain and they did a way better job.
****Tin Star Taco Grill - Eater here twice, the fish tacos are very good.
****Chipotle (burritos and tacos) - Very trendy popular place for lunch, has a very busy "Cafe Rio" style environment.
*Taco Cabana - No one in Austin seems to eat here, there is a reason, it sucks.
*Granato's Deli (at SLC airport) - Way overpriced, very slow service. I didn't get an olive with my dry flavorless sandwich and didn't bother to wait in line to try to get it after sitting down.
***Luby's cafeteria - Same as always, good okra, I got liver and onions which blew Rebecca's mind.
****Cracker Barrel - Good service we had a large group and only one order was screwed up Rebecca got two fillets and ordered one while Ross got one fillet and ordered two. Best fried okra so far
****The Blackeyed Pea - Fried pickle appetizer is awesome! Comes with Ranch Jalapeño dip, yum! Fried okra was dissapointing, rolls were excellent.
**Z-tejas (texmex) - Strange ingredients lots of presentation, but people go here for the alcohol not the food.
***Thoma's Super Buffet - Lots of chinese/american food, no presentation, poor a/c. But an on-site sushi chef! the sushi is freshly made and good here.
***Thundercloud Subs - The Austin version of Sensuous Sandwich, pretty good subs and Rebecca loved it... until I told her I pulled a hair out of mine.








*****I recommend this place.
****Good, but not fantastic
***Meh...
**Skip it, better off going hungry.
*Avoid this place at all costs. Fake illness if you have to, just don't eat the food.


Overall the service is almost always incredible (even at chain restaurants) in Austin. The great service is noticeably better than just about all but the nicest Utah restaurants. I am not listing these to brag about how much fun we are having on this trip; more I am listing the reasons why my pants will probably not fit me ever again.

2 comments:

Christina said...

Ever again? Love you being so delightfully pitiful. No gym at the Residence Inn?

Harley said...

no weight room... but they have some crappy bikes and treadmills that suck... a lot. I know because I have been using them sporadically. I have not been getting enough sleep but I may be able to fix that soon by finally getting the second project off my back.

About Me

My photo
Lead Java Developer Husband and Father

Tags