Saturday, March 22, 2008

Dell UltraSharp 2407WFP LCD Monitor



I found out that the desktop computer in my office is in fact for me to use while I am at client2. It is a Pentium Duo with 3.5 GB RAM, the desktop is so much nicer than trying to run a local instance of BEA Weblogic 8.1 application server on a laptop processor with 2 GB of RAM. But the title of this post refers to the gigantic Texas-size monitor, it is huge. This LCD is the biggest I have ever used, which is appropriate since I am in Texas where everything is bigger.
I snapped a photo with my cell phone camera, so the quality is horrible, but I don't think client2 would let me bring a camera to work to take nicer pictures.

I was talking to Rebecca about client2's problems with hiring someone to work my position full time. I think one of the issues is that the environment is an outdated version of ATG Platform and ATG Service. Who would want to come manage an environment running Java 1.4.x BEA Weblogic 8.1 and ATG 2006.3 when
  • Java 1.5 and Java 1.6 are already out

  • Weblogic 9 and Weblogic 10 are already out

  • ATG 2007.1 is already out


In this industry, you are putting yourself in a dangerous position by only knowing 5 year old technology and not using and learning the newest released technology.
Client2 shot themselves in the foot by heavily customizing ATG 2006.3 to the point that even loading the latest patch level of 2006.3, patch 6, would be a month-long process or more because all the changes would have to be carefully merged into the p6 out of the box code.

All that being said it would be very nice to work for client2, they have good benefits and it is a very nice environment (huge monitors, free magic genies, etc...) I know this because they have offered me a position here in Austin and want me to relocate to Austin. So I have to think about the pros and cons of moving from Utah and actually taking the job here in Austin as a permanent position. There are a lot of advantages, Austin is such a cool* place to be. I think Rebecca and Eleanor are game to stay, but I just don't know if it is the right move for us.

*Cool as in chic or trendy, I am pretty sure the temperature is not cool most of the time.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmph. I don't like the idea of you all relocating of course, it makes me panic a little inside. But then again, having another place to visit would be cool.

Unknown said...

I am torn between being supportive, and smacking you ... I guess since your out of smacking range I'll settle for supportive. You have to do what's best for you and your family. I wish you luck in that hard decision.

Hillary said...

If you were going to move anywhere... it might as well be Texas. We would be bummed, of course, but it sounds like it might be a good opportunity. Where else are you going to have a hiking trail at work unless you take a job with the national forest service?? A guy I worked with last year moved to Houston to work for Exxon Mobile. The biggest factor in his decision was the housing market in Houston and the fact that he could buy a house with 2000 more sq. ft. there than in Spanish Fork. I don't know how Austin compares to Houston and Lehi, but I'm sure you are already checking it out.

Christina said...

How many job changes since you got married? You may have already exhausted your opportunities in Utah, maybe you DO need a new state?!?

Bummer, why can't it be New York?

About Me

My photo
Lead Java Developer Husband and Father

Tags