Tuesday, February 5, 2008

IRS and Taxes

Rebecca and I did our taxes, we have used H&R Block for them for several years. We started at 2:30pm and didn't finish until 5:30pm. H&R Block will not accept appointments before Feb 15th, or something like that, so we had to wait for 20 minutes to sit with a professional tax consultant. These tax experts seem to have pretty big egos. I guess working with people who don't understand US tax laws or even W2 statements and being treated as know-it-alls from February through April every year can go to your head. It is always fun to ask them if they are a CPA; their ego gets a little bruising when they have to answer no. Of course if they were a CPA, it would be doubtful that they would chose to work at H&R block doing my taxes, that would be like charity work for a CPA.

Eleanor can't believe what she's reading

What bugs me is every time I do my taxes at H&R block (at least for the past 6 YEARS of doing my taxes with them) is this scenario. A tax question comes up, and I could get the answer if I had an internet connection and computer, but NO all I have is a stack of papers. This year, for instance, I forgot to print off a document for the taxes, and so Rebecca had to drive home, while I waited with Eleanor in the office. What did she do when she got home you may wonder? What did she spend 20 minutes of fossil fuel on to get from the house? Why she drove for 20 minutes (round trip) to LOG ON TO THE INTERNET! Eleanor will be laughing at this in 20 years, that is right Eleanor back in '08 we used to have to drive to a computer to get on the Internet. For Eleanor that will seem like what riding a horse to mail a letter is to us today! Hugely inconvenient. Especially given that in 20 years their won't be any fossil fuel left, BECAUSE WE ARE DRIVING AROUND TO CONNECT TO THE INTERNET. It's Not Stupid... It's Advanced

Eleanor points her finger shamefully at those responsible for global warming

I could go on about how I took 3 hours to do the taxes, even after Rebecca spent hours at home getting documents organized so it would go "quick". I could go on about how tax documents are still being printed off on paper and mailed out and how wasteful that is in a world of email. I could talk about the complex tax laws in the US, how most middle and lower income earners pay more than they should for the only reason that the laws are too complex and poorly explained to be utilized by the people they were intended to help. I could complain that the only candidates that would overhaul the tax laws in the US will never obtain a nomination or even last through super Tuesday before disappearing into obscurity. I could, but instead I will post another photo of Eleanor.

Eleanor says, Let them eat cake.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Eleanor eye candy is most appreciated.

I just filed ours online tonight- we do that every year and I love it. Why do you go to H&R when you have the internet and Turbo Tax right at your fingertips? That is my question!

I hate how complex taxes are and it is a shame that they probably won't be reformed this go around.

Christina said...

I appreciate that Eleanor photos, too! Especially since she is the birthday girl and I've been wishing and hoping for photos TO NO AVAIL!

My tax accountant has a CPA. He is WELL WORTH the check that I write him every year to save myself from the drama of filing in NY and NJ (with all the random things that need "special treatment"), and I always write a thank you note on top of the check. I also know that they were done correctly and that if the IRS has a problem with it (I have been audited before), that he gets to explain it to them instead of me.

I'm with Harley - peace of mind.

About Me

My photo
Lead Java Developer Husband and Father

Tags