Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Hyundai Sonata V6 biting the dust

My car would not start last Monday, so I took the excuse to call in sick, since I had been sick that weekend why not just be extra sure I don't spread it? So this Monday rolls around and yet again, my car would not start, so I worked from home and charged up the battery with Rebecca's handy car battery charger, seriously it is like I married Checker Auto, she had an air compressor, this girl even had a FLOOR JACK! So Tuesday, after a full 24 hours of charging, turn the key and rapid clicking, car no start. So I set the charger to start mode and was able to get the old girl going, basically gave myself a jump. I drove to work thinking, should I just take it in to a mechanic or live with the uncertainty each time I turn the key, "Will she start?"

I guess I am cheap and just do not want to spend money on the thing, so I have not taken it in yet. I also have little faith that mechanics will actually fix anything; this is based on past experience getting spark plug wires replaced and then taking it back in for the same issue, minutes later... and the other time I took it in, they could not duplicate the problem. Sounds like computer tech support, almost. When I get the money set aside, I would like to fix the following on my car:
  • rear driver-side automatic window mechanism
  • front passenger-side window mechanism
  • odometer (broke at 100,000)
  • Middle storage box lid/armrest repair
  • airbag light
  • squeaking breaks
  • cd player
  • oh and it won't start reliably
Then wash it, sell it to someone else, ???, buy a Honda! Considering how much can go wrong on a car, I guess I have got off easy.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

A Honda eh? Cross over to the Subaru side- you won't be disappointed!

Hope you get it all fixed and sold though- car stuff is just frustrating.

Harley said...

I think I am just on the not-Hyundai team. I would go Ford or Chevy or Dodge or Saturn or Kia or Volks or BMW or Benz or Lexus or Jeep or Subaru or Mazda or Nissan or ... you get the idea.

Christina said...

I'm all about the BM . . . Honda, and I HATE cars that don't start. Fortunately, I don't have that problem, I just have the problem of waiting for and riding the train. This morning I took the 6:48 from Westchester. Saturday morning I'm taking the 7:00 to Hartford. I guess I'm a train girl.

Christina said...

Austin? What are you doing for a buck?

Harley said...

If Austin is where I can earn a fat bonus, then I will head over to Austin. This cute little kid ain't cheap and isn't gonna get cheaper any time soon...

About Me

My photo
Lead Java Developer Husband and Father

Tags